Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My New Obsession :D

  Rembrandt Lighting: One of my favorite types of photography. Or so I found out yesterday. These type of photos are very striking and mysterious (in my opinion), and I absolutely love taking them. If you've never heard of this sort of photography, allow me to fill you in.


  Rembrandt van Rijn was a very talented painter that always depicted the subjects in his portraits with one side of their face cast in shadow, causing said subject to take on a more melancholy, darker feel. Now there is the technique of taking Rembrandt photos, which is pretty much the same thing as the paintings-just with real people. Awesome? Yes.


  I suppose this sort of picture would be better suited for a man, since the shadows tend to give a harsher, or more detailed, look on the facial features. But I took some yesterday of my mom-who is so photogenic she could be a model-and they turned out wonderfully. Of course, my mom would beg to differ since she doesn't like having her picture taken, but I've told her several times that the picture is great. I think it gives her a very mysterious/elegant look. Hopefully I'll be able to persuade her to let me post it on here...It's not like very many people would see it. :p


   Here is one of Rembrandt's self-portraits. See how one side of his face is shaded?


And here is a random Rembrandt picture  of a guy that looks slightly angry. Don't hurt me, mystery dude!

No comments:

Post a Comment