Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Unpredictable Muse

  I love to write. It's just something I do, something that's a part of me. Whenever I have free time, you'll most likely find me writing out notes for ideas I have, or writing in one of my books I currently have in progress. Yes, I have more than one book at the moment. I've finished two just this past year, and I have about five others that I've started. Crazy, I know. But I blame it all on my muse.

  Because just when I get comfortable in one of my books, I get an idea for another. And, usually, I can't just lay that idea to the side and wait until I have time (or, heaven forbid, I've actually finished a book) to lay it out. No, I have to set aside what I'm doing at the moment--even if I'm in the middle of writing a very crucial scene in the last book of a series--and start fleshing out that new idea. So that's how I came to have five books in the making. Sometimes I really hate my muse.

  You see, I am in the middle of writing the final book in a series, so I've been spending a lot of my time plotting out how it's all going to wrap up and which characters are going to play the most important parts...And just the other day, Muse had to butt in and say, "Hey, how about I give you another idea?". And of course I couldn't refuse. So now I have another book idea--but it gets even better.

  Not only is this new idea good for a book, for some reason I had to go and decide to write out the script version. You know, as in movie script, which I have never before tried to write.

  Why?! Can't I just for once finish a book without getting distracted along the way??

  So now, when I should be pushing my oldest characters closer to their Happily Ever After (Sort of), I'm instead writing a script for an action/adventure movie. And I'm actually enjoying it, which in no way helps that little voice in the back of mind that keeps reminding me about my important book I should be giving all my attention.

  Here's a quote I think sums it all up quite nicely:

  "Authors: Even the sane ones are nuts."

  I agree wholeheartedly.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment