Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Joys of Editing

Ah, the joys of editing! I've begun to edit my first book so I can start the process of getting it published, and it's going absolutely swimmingly.

Oh, who am I kidding? Editing is terrible. Terrible, I tell you. It makes me want to curl up in a corner and never look at a book again.

Seriously. And I'm only on chapter one.

I finished the cover some days ago, and I am quite pleased with how it turned out. So I thought to myself, "Wow, that went well! Maybe editing the book will go just as easily!"

Nope. Not at all. I think my characters are in a conspiracy to give me as much grief as possible. They are decidedly boring in the first chapter when they should be grabbing the reader's attention and positively shouting, "Hey! Read this book!".

But that's all changing, hopefully, as I edit out all those boring, thoughtless paragraphs and replace them with flowing words that are supposed to be full of action and interest. Slowly but surely, this book is going to be edited.

And once it is finished and beautiful, then I shall begin the process of getting it published. Which, from what I've heard, is a million times worse.

Doesn't that just make you want to become a writer? ;)

In truth, even though a lot of it is full of frustration and worry over how my writing will be received, most of the time writing is my most favorite thing to do. It's a part of me, and I don't think I'll give up just because one particular character has the personality of a slug.

__________

(EDIT: After I saved this post, an ad saying "Self-Publish Your Book!" appeared, and it was from the very site I am using to get published. How awesome is that?)

No comments:

Post a Comment